About six months ago, we received notice that the service that hosts the servers for the Garbage Pail Kids game would be shutting down. This service was an entire "game backend" platform, so a lot of GPK's code was specifically written to work on that service. What that means is that rather than just moving the game's code from one server to another, we would actually have to rewrite a lot of it... and that's what we've been doing!
This week, the result of that rewrite should be hitting app stores everywhere. Here's what that means, practically speaking:
* As soon as you log into the new version, we will migrate your account from one service to another. This should be a totally invisible change to you, though for some Android users we may need to request special access permissions to do so. Please tap "Allow" on that popup if it appears.
* The PvP leaderboard will not be migrated to the new servers. That means we'll be starting fresh, so new people will appear on the new leaderboard when they log in and battle in the Arena.
* Some social features may be limited while everybody migrates to the new version. Details about Allies who have not yet migrated will be limited until they do, for example.
* While the team has don a LOT of testing on this new version, you may see some new bugs pop up. Please let us know about them. Send screenshots if you can. Please be polite though :)
* One major advantage of the rewrite is that we were able to update a lot of code around saving and loading progress, currencies, achievements, etc., so some of the rare bugs that caused data loss or regressions should be fixed now.
I'll be around if anyone has questions.
Thanks for playing GPK!
Please sign in to leave a comment.